Position: Research Analyst
Location: San Francisco, CA
Application Deadline: July 13, 2018
Start Date: August 2018 (flexible)
The Research Analyst is detail-oriented, committed to high quality, and enjoys working in a collaborative environment. Because we are a small team of five researchers, the Research Analyst will be expected to contribute to the development of innovative public policy solutions that address major issues impacting the economic competitiveness and quality of life of the Bay Area and the state. The Research Analyst is also expected to do a significant amount of graphic design to support the data and policy visualizations associated with Institute projects.
The Economic Institute’s major products are reports, presentations, and policy memos. Research Analysts will be involved in these projects from start to finish and will also lead efforts at general data collection and archival. Successful analysts are encouraged to progressively take on greater roles and responsibility over time. This position reports to the President of the Economic Institute.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Working closely with Economic Institute Research Director to maintain and update database of key regional economic indicators
• Drafting economic- and policy-related articles, publications, and reports
• Engaging in graphic design for reports, social media and data visualizations
• Conducting data collection and analysis using applications such as STATA and Excel
• Performing ad hoc quantitative and qualitative research as needed
• Aiding in the design of research strategies and methods on a project-by-project basis
• Creating Economic Institute presentation decks
• Leading interviews with outside individuals as relevant to Institute projects
• Providing support for Economic Institute and Bay Area Council events and functions
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS
• Excellent writing skills with an ability to make complex analysis easily understood for readers.
• Ability to quickly develop strong quantitative, statistical analysis, and data visualization skills.
• Adobe Creative Cloud: InDesign, Photoshop, etc.
• MS Office: must be highly adept with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; use of STATA or other statistical programs a plus, but not required.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s Degree required. Candidates with backgrounds in economics, statistics, public policy, finance, business administration, or related fields are preferred, though applicants with other educational concentrations will be considered.
• 0-2 years of professional experience (internships included) in analytical roles.
The salary range for this position is $40,000-$50,000. Salary placement will be based on the experience and skill levels of the successful applicant. The Bay Area Council also provides a generous benefits package that includes: employer paid employee medical, vision, dental, and life insurance benefits; 401(k) deferred compensation program with employer matching; nine paid holidays per year; and paid time off accrual (up to 20 days per year for newly hired employees).
Work is primarily sedentary with intermittent stooping, bending and walking throughout the day. Ability to lift thirty-five (15) pounds infrequently.
The Bay Area Council also provides a generous benefits package that includes: employer paid employee medical, vision, dental, and life insurance benefits; 401(k) deferred compensation program with employer matching; nine paid holidays per year; and paid time off accrual (up to 20 days per year for newly hired employees).
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your resume and other materials as one e-mail attachment with your last name and “Research Analyst” in the file name (i.e., “Smith_ResearchAnalyst”).
Applications will be accepted until July 13, 2018 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.